Do not pay child support by cash

Paying child support by checkChild support cases can be difficult for all parties.  For the party who is receiving child support, it can be often very important to them in terms of providing for the needs a child.  For the parent who is paying child support, they often want to ensure the amount they pay is fair and that they get credit for their payments.

For parents who pay child support, payment is ordinarily made in a couple different ways.  For some parents, they may have child support deducted from their paycheck.  For other parents, they may pay by check.

If payment is made by check, some parents send that check to the state child support authorities.  In other cases, the parent might give the check to the other parent and note on the check memorandum line that this check is for “child support.”  This is often dependent on what the court order says and the jurisdiction.

No matter what option above is utilized, there can rarely be a dispute about whether the support was paid.  If it is paid by wage withholding (a/k/a garnishment), there will be a record of that via the paycheck and through the state.  If payment is made by check, the payor can usually show they paid through their bank records.

In some cases, however, a party might think about paying child support for one reason of another by cash.  This is problematic, in most cases, and can lead to disputes between the parties about whether support was paid.

The receiving parent might after that they never received the cash.  The receiving party, in some cases, might argue that the cash was not for child support, but for some other purpose.

When disputes like this arise, it can be difficult for the court or the state authorities to know and very that support was paid.  This may lead to a parent, who paid by cash, not ultimately receiving credit for child support paid.  This can lead to a judgment and order for back support owed, in addition to interest being added on to the balance in many jurisdictions.

If you are going through a child support matter and need an attorney, Stange Law Firm, PC can help.  You can call us at 1-855-805-0595.

Leave a Reply